Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This tortilla omelette is delicious cold or hot, and as it's easily portable it's great for a picnic or fireside supper.
- 4 potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons basil, shredded
- 8 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the unpeeled potatoes in a steamer basket set over boiling water. Steam for 7-8 minutes until just tender. Remove from the basket and leave until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the onions and gently fry over medium heat for about 10 minutes until soft but not browned. Lightly season with salt and dot with the butter.
- Peel off the potato skins and slice the flesh into 1/2in discs.
- Arrange in a layer on top of the onions. Scatter with basil and season with a little more salt.
- Whisk the eggs well with a good scrunch of freshly ground pepper. Pour them over the potatoes and onions.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the eggs are completely set. Season with a little more salt.
- Flip the omelette over onto a large plate, then slide it back into the pan. Brown the underside for a minute or two.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave to rest for a few minutes.
- Slice into segments and serve. Or, if you are heading for the blue yonder, allow your creation to cool before wrapping it in a large sheet of foil lined with greaseproof paper.