Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious--I counted the prep time as the time for boiling the potatoes for mashing.
- 3 cups cooked mashed potatoes, seasoned to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Place a layer of half the mashed potatoes in a buttered 9-inch pie pan.
- Sauté the mushrooms and onions in the butter, add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper mix well.
- Spoon over the potato layer.
- Spread the sour cream over the mushroom and onion layer.
- Top with the remaining mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until browned.
A nice way to use leftover mashed potatoes, but still kinda felt like leftover mashed potatoes. I made this in two individual ramekins for my husband and myself, which looked quite nice on the plate. I enjoyed the brightness the lemon juice added to the mushrooms, but after baking in the oven, it seemed like this flavor was lost. Perhaps adding in the lemon zest instead of the juice will remedy this? All in all, it was enjoyable, but probably not something I'd make again. I will, however, be adding lemon juice to my sauteed mushrooms from here on out. I'm sure these will be great with a juicy steak. Thanks So. Chef for a new twist on sauteeing mushrooms!
Excellent with chicken or white fish! The sour cream can be eliminated or reduced if dietary or allergy concerns are an issue. If one is really fond of mushrooms, double the quantity for a thicker middle layer. Mashing the potatoes with garlic powder (a small amount only) and some white pepper adds an extra measure of flavour.