Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Wonderfully rich and great fro Xmas. serve with green veg and horseradish sauce
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 450 g potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 450 g mixed mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 375 g ready made puff pastry
- 100 g vegetarian gruyere cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 220C.
- Put garlic in a small roasting tin with 1 tbsp oil and toss. Roast for 15 mins.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes Drain and pat dry.
- Heat remaining oil and saute onion until soft, add mushrooms and cook for another 10 mins until all juice has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in herbs.
- Allow garlic to cool slightly and carefully squeeze out the innards into the creme fraiche. Mix well.
- Roll pastry into a 12 inch square and keep any trimmings.
- Cut in half and place half the pastry on a greased baking tray.
- Sprinkle a third of the cheese on leaving a border of 1 inch.
- Place a layer of potatoes on top. Dot with half the creme fraiche.
- Place on half the mushroom mix.
- Make another layer of potato.
- Place on the remaining creme fraiche.
- lace on the remaining mushroom mix.
- Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Run a lattice cutter over the remaining half of the pastry leaving and inch border.
- Lift the lattice onto the filling and gently strech until the two pastry borders.
- Use the trimmings to make star shapes to decorate.
- Bake on the top shelf for 20 mins until golden.
- rest for 10 mins before serving.
- Once cold this can be wrapped in foil and frozen for upto 1 month.