Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Country Living March 2014. Lighten Up! Replace bacon with chicken sausage, swap Manchego with low-fat Swiss, and use egg substitute at save 179 calories and 22 grams of fat per serving.
- 2 lbs fingerling potatoes
- 12 ounces applewood-smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- butter, for baking dish
- 6 ounces shredded manchego cheese (about 2 cups)
- 5 scallions, white and green parts chopped
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, in a medium pot over high heat, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook until potatoes are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and let rest until cool enough to handle. Cut each in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp, about 6 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat and stir in maple syrup and cayenne. Set aside.
- 3. Butter a 2-quart baking dish and set aside. In a large bowl, stir reserved potatoes and maple-bacon mixture, plus cheese and scallions, to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and freshly ground pepper to combine. Slowly pour potato mixture over potato mixture. Bake until top is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Let casserole cool before serving.