Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
potatoes, macaroni and cheese. What more could you ask for?
- 12 ounces russet potatoes, peeled,cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces small elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb onion, sliced (about 3 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese (about 6 ounces) or 1 1⁄2 cups use your favorite cheese (I like gruyere.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Cook potato in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer potato to large bowl.
- Add macaroni to same pot of boiling water; cook until just tender but still firm to bite.
- Drain macaroni.
- Add to bowl with potato.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onions and sauteé until tender and brown, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Add onions, cream, milk and cheese to potato mixture and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake until heated through and cheese melts, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes; serve hot.
Although I pretty much followed the recipe right on down (at least as far as the ingredients were concerned), I did steam the potatoes & used them unpeeled (we like the skins!) & that worked just fine for us! The combo of potato, pasta & onion made for an interesting & very satisfying side dish! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement recipe tag]