Chef GGina's Note:
I purchased 5 lovage plants because the man at the garden center praised its use in potato salad. When I planted them my Polish neighbor, who was surprised to see “Lubczyk” as she had never seen it growing in this country, told me that in Poland they make soup with it. Naturally I did some Internet research to find some recipes. As I always change recipes and improvise as I go, this is what I wound up with. We loved it. Let me warn you…Lovage is a natural diuretic, so if you make this prepare to have your kidneys working overtime!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped finely
- 3 -4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cleaned and cubed (you can also use more if you like a chunkier soup)
- 2 tablespoons butter, if needed
- 2 medium bay leaves
- 2 stalks fresh lovage, with leaves washed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock (more if needed to cover ingredients)
- 1 quart whole milk
- fresh lovage, leaves (to garnish) or fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1In a large saucepan begin by cooking your bacon slowly, until crisp. Remove bacon to a side dish and crumble it when cooled.
- 2In the bacon grease add your chopped onion and sauté till translucent. Now remove your onion to the bacon dish.
- 3Add your cubed potatoes to the remaining grease. Add the butter if the bacon grease is not sufficient. Sauté until the potato cubes are a little golden but not cooked all the way through.
- 4Now add your bacon, onions, bay leaves, chicken stock, and salt and pepper. Cook this until your potatoes are thoroughly cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
- 5Then add your chopped lovage and cook for 10 more minutes or until lovage is tender.
- 6Finally add your milk and bring back to temperature without boiling or the milk may curdle.
- 7For a creamier consistency take an immersion blender and partially blend the soup, leaving about 50% of the potatoes whole. Add lovage leaves or fresh parsley for garnish. Serve.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato and Lovage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.4
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 33.9 mg
- Sodium 757.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: