Recipe by Sharon123
This thick, pureed soup, hearty and full flavored, is a longtime favorite at Moosewood! For this recipe, you should use only fresh or frozen lima beans, dried limas would give a very different result.
Top Review by ellie_
Delicious! I made a few changes to this recipe by using water and 3 vegetable bouillion cubes and adding some crumbled bacon. I also skipped the milk and didn't puree the soup - these changes were for personal taste with wonderful resutls. Thanks for sharing this keeper!
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced or cubed potatoes
- 2 cups cooked fresh or frozen lima beans
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or use parsley)
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup buttermilk (optional)
- roasted red peppers or pimiento strip
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions in the oil for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the potatoes, lima beans, and water or stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the cilantro and salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree in batches in a blender or food processor, return to the soup pot, and gently reheat, if necessary.
- If you prefer a creamy soup, stir the skim milk or buttermilk into the soup and gently reheat.
- Serve garnished with roasted red pepper or pimiento strips.