Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
from a recipe exchange. very cheap, healthy and easy.
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced (use only white and light green part and make sure all sand or dirt is washed off)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- Saute leeks and onion in olive oil for 10 min on med/low heat until soft and fragrant.
- In a large pot, boil broth. Add sautéed leeks and onion, garlic, potato cubes and spices. Cover and simmer for 20-30 min, until potatoes are very soft and fall apart when forked.
- Puree the soup with a blender or immersion blender. Make sure not to fill the blender more than 1/2 way so soup doesn't go flying (blend portions at a time). Pour soup back in pot and reheat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Very good potage, especially for being dairy-free.
I had (past tense) a leek in the veg drawer wondering what it was going to be. When I sew this I knew right away that it was destined to be soup. That leek became a very good soup indeed. Flavorful. satisfying and simple. What more could you ask? Made for Culinary Quest 2015 and the love of soup.
Wow was this soup good. We really enjoyed its creamy texture and flavor. It was quick and easy to make with excellent results. I would be happy to serve this to family and friends a like. I also added salt and pepper at the end. Thank you for sharing a recipe that I will make often. Made for Culinary Quest - Switzerland - 2015.