Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
from a recipe exchange. very cheap, healthy and easy.
Make and share this Potato and Leek Soup (Creamy but No Cream!) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced (use only white and light green part and make sure all sand or dirt is washed off)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- Saute leeks and onion in olive oil for 10 min on med/low heat until soft and fragrant.
- In a large pot, boil broth. Add sautéed leeks and onion, garlic, potato cubes and spices. Cover and simmer for 20-30 min, until potatoes are very soft and fall apart when forked.
- Puree the soup with a blender or immersion blender. Make sure not to fill the blender more than 1/2 way so soup doesn't go flying (blend portions at a time). Pour soup back in pot and reheat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Oh so good! I love that this soup is so creamy, yet doesn't use any cream. It is flavorful, creamy and filling. It's also pretty easy to prepare. A winner all the way around. I added salt and a bit of pepper to the soup at the end of cooking. Thank you!
We're huge fans of potato leek soup so it would be hard to go wrong. I think using more leeks in place of 'regular' onions would be better. We prefer ours chunky so I didn't puree. I wondered about adding the chili powder but it was delicious! Made for Culinary Quest 2014/CCQ.
Very yummy, I think I must have used more of the dark green leek leaves than necessary b/c it's a creamy green color, but who cares! Made for Culinary Quest 2014