Recipe by mrs mack
Growing up in Scotland this soup was a favorite of mine. Over the years I have adapted it to suit my tastes. This is the full fat creamy version I use for Xmas and Thanksgiving a true treat for the holidays! But it is very easy to adapt it by using milk or half& half instead of creme fraiche, which I do at other times of the year.This freezes well, I reheat and add creme fraiche just before serving. There are creme fraiche recipes on this site the one identical to mine is Judi Caston's #34037. The servings are for holiday meals, if only for a dinner it serves about 4-6
- 4 leeks, white part only
- 2 large onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock
- 2⁄3 cup creme fraiche
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean leeks and chop finely. Peel and dice onions. Melt butter in a pot, add leeks and onions and saute gently for about 10 minutes.
- Peel and cube potatoes the smaller the cubes the quicker it cooks, add to pot and cook 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 30 to 45 mins, depending on size of potatoes.
- Remove from heat puree in blender, or with immersion blender until smooth.
- add creme fraiche and whisk into soup until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- Optional if you like your soup more chunky only blend half the soup.