Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has a yummy bacon and sage topping, a simple recipe but delicious. From Good Food Live
Make and share this Potato and Leek Pancakes recipe from Food.com.
For the pancakes
- 550 g floury potatoes, such as russett, peeled and cut into chunks
- 100 g leeks, cut into 5mm dice
- 280 g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 280 ml buttermilk
- 30 g unsalted butter, for frying
For the topping
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 4 slices streaky bacon, rashers each rasher cut into 4
- 3 fresh sage leaves, coarsely shredded
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 25 g unsalted butter
- For the pancakes: put the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt, cover and bring to the boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- Drain the potatoes well. Mash half of them and coarsely grate the remainder.
- Put the leeks in a pan and cover with plenty of lightly salted water. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender. Drain well then press with kitchen paper to extract as much moisture as possible.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl, and mix in the mashed and grated potatoes and the leeks.
- Stir in enough buttermilk to make a thick batter.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan. Spoon in some of the batter and cook for about 2 minutes or until the top of the pancake is silky and bubbly. Turn over and cook for a few more minutes until golden and puffy. Repeat with the remaining batter. Keep the pancakes warm.
- For the topping: heat the oil in a separate pan and cook the bacon until golden and crisp. Add the butter, sage and lemon juice.
- To serve: put the pancakes on serving plates and spoon the bacon mixture over the top.