Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great side dish, works really well with stews and casseroles.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 400 g leeks, trimmed,halved and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 kg potato
- 350 g mascarpone cheese
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- Thinly slice the potatoes with a mandolin or very sharp knife (they must be thin or they will not cook through evenly).
- Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF).
- Heat the butter or oil in a saucepan and cook the leeks over a low heat for about 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and herbs and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Grease a shallow, 3 litre (12 cup) capacity gratin dish with butter or oil.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes in the base of the dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Scatter with one-third of the leeks and a few dollops of mascarpone.
- Continue in the same way to make two more layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes, then top with mascarpone.
- Pour the stock over the top and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes to brown the top.