Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was my grandmothers recipe for potato soup, and it is scrumptious!
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 cup margarine or 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed ham
- Cube potatoes and ham
- Place potatoes, ham and onions in a saucepot with a small amount of water, enough to cover the potatoes and ham
- Add lots of pepper and enough salt to taste
- Cook until potatoes are tender
- Add butter and milk, stirring constantly. Be careful not to scorch
- Cook slowly until heated. If you need to thicken this soup you can add some instant mashed potato flakes.
This is good, quick to make. I only used 2 tbsp of the butter to eliminate some fat and added white pepper. This is a mild comforting and filling soup.
It's okay for a base. It needs some help. Next time I'll saute the onions in butter first, maybe with some garlic. I added garlic salt to this batch and used heavy cream, as that's what I had on hand. I substituted some of the butter for bacon drippings because DH heard "potato soup" and immediately asked if it had bacon in it. He also topped his serving with sharp cheddar.
loved this soup very easy to make with stuff you usually have around.