Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
In '300 Sensational Soups' by Carla Snyder & Meredith Deeds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice
- 12 ounces ham, cut into small dice
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and salt; saute until onion is softened, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and saute for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in stock.
- Add potatoes and ham; bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cover, decrease heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Reheat until steaming, stirring often; do not let boil.
- Ladle into heated bowls and garnish with chives.