Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A new twist on an old favorite. Excellent when served with a roasted meat or fowl dish.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 -9 ounces russet potatoes, unpeeled,cut into 1/3 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 ounces packed grated gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced cornichons or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons bread and butter pickles
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs (made from crustless French bread)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add potato and onion.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Cool completely.
- Mix next 4 ingredients into potato mixture.
- Using moistened hands, form 1/4 cup mixture into croquettes.
- Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Whisk eggs in medium bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs in pie dish.
- Dip each croquette into eggs, then coat with breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, add croquettes to skillet and cook until crisp and golden brown, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels and drain.
From Bon Appetit, March 2000. Also good with cooked, crumbled bacon added to the mixture.