Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A funky potato salad with no mayonnaise. Serve while gazing at the Pyramids.
- 907.18 g boiling potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled,halved if large
- 1-2 clove garlic, very finely minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 44.37-59.16 ml strained fresh lemon juice
- 59.16-88.74 ml extra virgin olive oil
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 carrot, diced (optional)
- 226.79 g green beans, ends trimmed,cut into thirds
- 78.07-118.29 ml chopped green onion
- 44.37 ml chopped mint (optional)
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley (optional)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered (optional)
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan, completely cover water and add salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until a knife can pierce the center of the largest potato easily and the potato falls from the knife when lifted, about 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine minced garlic with a pinch of salt and mash with the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in 3 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Add 4 tablespoons olive oil, pepper and cayenne, then whisk again.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, rinse them briefly and leave just until cool enough to handle.
- Peel them if you like, cut them in half and then into about 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Put them in a large bowl and add 3 tablespoons dressing and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- With a rubber spatula, fold together gently but thoroughly.
- Let potatoes cool to room temperature.
- Put the carrots in a saucepan of water, add salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add green beans and cook uncovered over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly in a strainer.
- Add to the bowl of potatoes.
- Whisk the remaining dressing, pour it over the salad and fold it in.
- Add the green onions, mint and parsley and fold together lightly.
- Taste, adjust seasoning, and add more lemon juice and olive oil if needed.
- Garnish with quartered hard boiled eggs.
- Serve at room temperature.
this is a nice light side dish to the bbq'd chicken i served it with, and because there is no mayo i think it would be great for any outdoor party. i omitted the eggs and carrots and added a chopped vidalia onion. also added chopped tarragon to the dressing. good summer recipe mirj
I just realized now that I forgot the cayenne in this recipe! It was really good without it, though. I used a white onion instead of a green one, added all the optionals but the egg (and cayenne). The next time I make it, I am going to add more lemon and garlic. Mmm!
Yum! I'm glad we made a double recipe of this. We included the optional carrot, hard-boiled egg, and parsley, and replaced the optional mint with fresh dill. The leftovers have been really good, too. Thanks for posting!