Recipe by *Parsley*
This is a very different type of potato salad. I've only made it once (years ago) but it IS quite good. You MUST use green, underripe bananas. Perhaps even plantains would do? Prep/cook time does not include chilling time.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
This is most definitely a different kind of potato salad, but ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL TASTING! Although I did follow the recipe pretty much, I did cut it in half AND slso left the potatoes unpeeled, 'cause that's the way I like 'em! Very, very different from what I usually make, what with the bananas, sweet onion & Spanish olives, but certainly something I'll be making again! Thanks for a very unique keeper of a recipe! [Tgged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC Tag]
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 lbs greenish-yellow bananas, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces (about 7 or 8)
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup Spanish olives with pimento, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt (or (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potato cubes in boiling, salted water until firm-tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add sliced bananas to the potato pot during the last minute of cooking. Drain and rinse with cold water
- In a large serving bowl, combine the bananas and potatoes with sliced onions, and olives.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour this dressing over the salad.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.