Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Galette de Pomme de Terre aud Fromage de Chevre
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 6 -8 ounces goat cheese
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- black olives (to garnish) (optional)
- fresh basil, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Slice and discard the ends of the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into 3/4-inch slices. Cut a round hole out of the center of each slice, forming a sturdy ring with at least 1/2 inch border of potato around the hole. Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a skillet to 300 degrees F. Fry the potato rings until light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Fill the potato rings with the goat cheese and coat both sides with gread crumbs. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and saute the potato rings until golden brown on both sides, about 30 to 40 seconds per side.
- Transfer to serving plats and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with olives and chopped basil if desired.