Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great soup recipe, perfect for colder days.
Make and share this Potato and Garlic Soup With Herbs recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup minced chives or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, garlic and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Coarsely puree soup in blender 1 cup at a time, about 20 seconds per batch (do not overprocess).
- Return soup to same saucepan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with chives and thyme and serve.
This is a great soup and the bayleaf and thyme helps make it that way. I used fresh thyme and spring onions which were perfect. The amount made was easily polished off by two adults and a toddler. It is also a reasonably quick recipe and can be produced within the hour.
We've made this twice in as many weeks, with hubby and the kids asking in between when we were having "that really great soup" again. :) It is so easy to make, smells wonderful while simmering, and doubles/triples well. The first time I pureed nearly the entire batch and loved how it looked & tasted so much like a cream soup, even though it is dairy-free. The second time my blender died so we had a chance to try it the other way, lol...a winner either way! I subbed veggie broth for the chicken broth to make it vegan. Thanks so much for posting such an easy, budget-friendly family pleaser!