Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sunomono means vinegared things in Japanese and you can use many ingredients to make it. Typically it's made with cucumbers along with other ingredients. In this recipe, atypical ingredient is added - potatoes. I use crab here, but feel free to sub cooked shrimp or any other cooked seafood. If you are using regular American thick skinned cucumber, peel and remove the seeds.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced (paper thin)
- 100 g crab
- 1 japanese cucumbers (paper thin) or 1 English cucumber, very thinly sliced (paper thin)
- salt, for salting cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Soak the potatoes for 10 minutes in cold water.
- Boil water in a pan and cook potatoes for about 1-2 minutes and drain. Cool completely or chill in refrigerator.
- Salt the cucumbers and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Squeeze out the liquid.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and carefully mix in potatoes, crab, and cucumbers. Check for salt.