Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
this is one of my favorite comfort foods when it is cold or raining. This is just enough for my family.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup cubed country ham
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup cream
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- In a large stock pot add first four ingredients and cook until the onions and ham are tender and sweated. med high heat.
- add spices and flour and stir until it is like a thick consistency
- add stock and boil.
- add potatos and cook until tender.
- add milk and nutmeg.
- garnish with scallions and cheese.
Perfect way to use up leftover country ham. I added a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and it was a definite hit with the family.