Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love chowders. I have combined these two chowders with a few extra ingredients to make a wonderful tasting chowder. I like to serve it the same as French Onion Soup with the garlic toast in the bottom of the bowl or garlic croutons and pepper jack cheese melted on top. UMMMMMMM Good! This is really a comfort food on a cold winter day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 potatoes (large baking potatoes)
- 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams
- 1 (16 ounce) heavy cream
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) chopped clams with juice
- 4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- In a large pot saute (sweat) chopped onions in olive oil.
- Peel and dice potatoes into small bites and add to onions and olive oil.
- Add cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt.
- Cook potatoes with 1/4 cup of water covered until fork tender.
- In a small pan on medium heat mix butter and flour as if your were making a gravy or white sauce.
- Add flour and butter mixture to large pot and mix with potatoes.
- Pour 4 cups chicken broth and stir until it starts to thicken.
- Add can of whole baby clams and chopped clams with juice.
- Pour in heavy cream.
- (Thickness varies. Mashing some of the potatoes or adding instant potatoes for thickening.).
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Top with Old Bay Seasoning.