The excellent cheese flavor of these biscuit-like scones goes so well with soups and chilies. It's also a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Best served warm.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter (or margarine) until consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Add cheese. Stir.
- Combine potatoes and milk in small bowl. Add to flour mixture. Stir until soft dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 6 times.
- Shape into flat disc. Roll or press out to 8 inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick. Place on greased baking sheet.
- Brush surface with egg yolk. Score circle into 6 wedges. Bake in 425 degree F oven for about 20 minutes until risen and golden.
- Cut or break apart at score marks.