Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tasty vegetarian dish - try making it with all organic foods for an extra healthy meal!
Make and share this Potato and Butternut Squash Curry With Brown Basmati Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 3 cups butternut squash
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine rice, water, and 1/4 teaspoons salt in 2-quart saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the rice stand, covered, at least 10 minutes.
- While the rice is standing, make the curry. Heat the coconut oil in a 10- to 12-inch skillet over medium high.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves and remaining 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Bring to a boil and add the potatoes and squash.
- Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potato and squash are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Serve over rice.
This is a nice mild curry. All the flavors mixed in well together. I followed the directions on the package for the basmati rice, as it was slightly different. Also, I used chicken broth. For the potatoes, all I had was 2 red potatoes, and 1 sweet potato, so I used that, peeled and cut into a 1/2 inch dice. The same with the squash. This was very nice for lunch the next day. Next time I may add a chopped apple. Thank you Susan.