Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Irish: Food, Fun and Crafts. I switched around a few things in this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup shredded hash brown, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups leftover mashed potatoes (Yukons are really good for this recipe)
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- fresh breadcrumb
- oil (for frying)
- Sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet on medium heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the hash browns, leftover mashed potatoes, sautéed onions, remaining butter (melted), bleu cheese, chives, salt and pepper.
- Separate one egg and lightly beat it. Stir into the potato mixture. Beat the other egg in a small, shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Form potato mixture into cakes 1/4-inch thick and 4 inches in diameter.
- Dip cakes in reserved beaten egg then coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and fry the cakes until golden on each side.
- An Irish Toast: May the roof above us never fall in, and may we family and friends gathered below never fall out.
YUM is all I can say about this. I love anything that is potato or bleu cheese related!!! I will make this over and over! Thanks!