Potato and Bleu Cheese Cakes
- Sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet on medium heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the hash browns, leftover mashed potatoes, sautéed onions, remaining butter (melted), bleu cheese, chives, salt and pepper.
- Separate one egg and lightly beat it. Stir into the potato mixture. Beat the other egg in a small, shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Form potato mixture into cakes 1/4-inch thick and 4 inches in diameter.
- Dip cakes in reserved beaten egg then coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and fry the cakes until golden on each side.
- An Irish Toast: May the roof above us never fall in, and may we family and friends gathered below never fall out.