Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe I found in a book called Better than Peanut Butter & Jelly, (A vegetarian book for kids meals). Make it vegan by leaving out the sour cream or yogurt.
- 6 cups vegetable broth, canned or made from bouillon cubes
- 10 -12 medium mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 low-fat sour cream (optional) or 1⁄2 yogurt (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine broth, mushrooms, onion, carrots, and potatoes.
- Cook over medium high heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until potatoes are just tender; about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, cilantro, and seasoning.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Serve topped with sour cream, if desired.
Yummy! Loved the mushrooms :)
Excellent soup! I made this for the kids and myself for lunch and it was so nice to hear them say "mmm, that's good!" The sweetness of the carrots and the spiceyness of the cajun seasoning were a good balance. The chopped cilantro added a nice fresh touch. The kids liked their soup with sour cream. I just added a splash of lime juice to mine. Very yummy!