Every Easter my Mom would make this potato salad. This is not exactly hers but my version. Don't wait for Easter make it for your next picnic! Do use new potatoes if you like them firm but I myself like my potatoes soft so I find myself using russets, and if you don't want a precise cut salad with firm potatoes use russet. I find myself rough cutting the russets potatoes because they do fall apart and add to the creaminess of the dressing. FYI-You can toss the cubed, cooked, still warm, potatoes with the vinegar or beet juice and let set till cool even up to over night. Then add remaining ingredients.
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar (or use the juice from the pickled beets for more vibrant color)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh horseradish
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise (adding more after tossing with salad ingredients for more creaminess if desired)
- 5 lbs new potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) jar pickled beets, drained and diced
- 1 red onion, diced fine
- 1 small green pepper, diced fine
- 1 stalk celery, diced fine
- 6 eggs, boiled and diced
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- paprika (smoked is really good)
- Mix all salad dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss remaining ingredients into the large bowl with dressing, toss to coat.
- Chill for at least 1 hour overnight is best.
- Top with sliced egg and sprinkle paprika.