Recipe by Chef likestocook
We love potato soup at our house. Since this one starts with the frozen hash browns, there are no potatoes to peel. Sometimes I save the bacon and use it as a garnish. Just serve it the way your family likes it best.I found this soup in a cookbook that I was reading one night. If you decide to add more potatoes (the bag holds more than 4 cups) just be sure to add more water.
- 12 ounces bacon
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 cups frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp.
- Add the onion to the bacon grease and saute until tender.
- Pour off some of the fat. As bad as it is to say the grease does give it a wonderful flavor.
- Combine the potatoes( I often thaw and cook mine a little bit in the microwave), bacon, onion from the skillet,and water in a 3 quart pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring once in a while.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the soup, sour cream, milk, and seasonings.
- Heat to serving temperature, but do not boil.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, bacon (if you didn't put it in), and/or green onions.