Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish takes alot of time to prepare but it is delicious. The potatoes and Washington delicious apples go well together. I use a mandoline to slice the potatoes and apples which speeds things up a bit. I also make this in a quiche dish and when inverted onto a plate, it makes a pretty presentation.
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 1 1/2-inch-high sides with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- Line bottom of pan with parchment; brush parchment with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- Place apple slices, 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon minced sage in small bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Place potatoes, remaining 3 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons minced sage in medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Arrange 1 layer of neatest potato slices in concentric circles in prepared pan, overlapping potatoes in outermost circle (this will become top of galette).
- Top with second layer of potatoes.
- Top with apple slices.
- Cover with remaining potatoes.
- Pour leftover butter from bowls used to toss potatoes and apple on top.
- Bake galette until potatoes are tender when tested with tip of sharp knife and top is beginning to brown, about 1 hour.
- Remove galette from oven.
- Turn out onto 9 or 10-inch tart pan bottom; peel off parchment.
- (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- Preheat broiler. Broil galette until top is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer galette to platter. Cut into wedges.
Even though this recipe took a lot of effort it was worth it!And, lucky me, the russet potatoes were on special at the store too! Every bite is delicious. I made it for a company dinner yesterday with Crispy Crumbed Pork Chops and baked them in the oven along with the galette. I used a springform pan, greased it with Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!), and just used a wee bit less sage due to personal preferences. The combination of apples and potatoes is excellent. I will definitely make this one again. Into my 'favorites' binder it goes.