1/1 Photo of Potaje De Garbanzos (Chickpea Stew - Spain)
A stew from the Southeastern Coastal Region of Spain. From Penelope Casa's "Delicioso!" The garbanzos require soaking overnight so plan accordingly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chickpeas, dried
- 4 cups water
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 lb thick slab bacon or 1/4 lb salt pork
- 1 ham bone or 1 beef bone
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (Spanish for authenticity)
- 2 slices bread, 1/2-inch thick (crusty or rustic style)
- 1/4 cup Spanish ham (Spanish mountain cured or prosciutto) or 1/4 cup prosciutto, diced (Spanish mountain cured or prosciutto)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb swiss chard or 1 lb collard greens, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb small red potato, peeled (about 2 inches in diameter or larger potatoes cut in 2 inch chunks)
- salt, to taste
- 10 blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1Soak the chickpeas overnight in a large pot of cold water to cover; drain.
- 2In the large pot combine chickpeas, 4 cups water, garlic, bay leaves, slab bacon, and bone; bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the oil and saute the bread slices until golden on both sides.
- 4Remove and reserve the bread.
- 5Add the ham and onion to the skillet; saute until the onion has wilted.
- 6Stir in the paprika, and remove the pan from the heat.
- 7Add the onion mixture to the chickpeas.
- 8Add the greens, potatoes, and salt to taste to the chickpeas and continue cooking 30 minutes or more, or until the chickpeas and potatoes are tender.
- 9Remove the ham or beef bone.
- 10In a mortar or food processor, combine the sauteed bread, almonds, 2 Tablespoons of the chickpeas from the pot, and the yolks of the hard-boiled eggs; mash to a paste.
- 11Stir the paste into the stew, cover and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- 12Chop the hard-boiled egg whites.
- 13Divide into soup bowls and garnish with chopped hard-boiled egg whites.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potaje De Garbanzos (Chickpea Stew - Spain)
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.5
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 78.4 mg
- Sodium 706.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: