Prep 5 mins
Cook 18 mins
Uses the freshest green peas you can find. If unavailable, use good quality frozen peas. Don't forget to serve this soup with a bottle of your best boojoelay or a Michelob. From Vegetarian: The Best Ever Recipe Collection.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 shallots, finely minced
- 2 cups fresh stock
- 3 cups shelled fresh green peas or 3 cups frozen peas
- 3 -4 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh minced chervil
- NOTE: if using frozen peas, thaw first.
- In a heavy soup pot, melt the butter but do not burn. Add the shallots and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups stock or water and the green peas, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer the soup for approximately 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the peas are tender, transfer the soup to a large bowl and using a hand held immersion blender process the soup until very smooth.
- Strain the soup back into the soup pot, stir in the heavy cream (if using), and heat through WITHOUT boiling.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot with homemade croutons and fresh chervil garnished on top.