Uses the freshest green peas you can find. If unavailable, use good quality frozen peas. Don't forget to serve this soup with a bottle of your best boojoelay or a Michelob. From Vegetarian: The Best Ever Recipe Collection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 shallots, finely minced
- 2 cups fresh stock
- 3 cups shelled fresh green peas or 3 cups frozen peas
- 3 -4 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1NOTE: if using frozen peas, thaw first.
- 2In a heavy soup pot, melt the butter but do not burn. Add the shallots and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add 2 cups stock or water and the green peas, season with salt and pepper.
- 4Cover and simmer the soup for approximately 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5When the peas are tender, transfer the soup to a large bowl and using a hand held immersion blender process the soup until very smooth.
- 6Strain the soup back into the soup pot, stir in the heavy cream (if using), and heat through WITHOUT boiling.
- 7Season with salt and pepper and serve hot with homemade croutons and fresh chervil garnished on top.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potage Saint-Germain (Creamy Green Pea Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.3
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 95.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: