Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Posted here for safekeeping. This is the basic recipe with variations, so you can create your own favorite version. I usually make this non-dairy using vegetable stock, which I actually prefer over the dairy version given here. I usually cook my soup for less time than this recipe indicates and it comes out fine.
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced (I leave skins on)
- 3 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white and tender green parts only)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 -6 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 -3 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced parsley or 2 -3 tablespoons chives
- Simmer vegetables, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or puree in blender. Correct seasoning.
- Off heat and just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Pour into a tureen or soup cups and decorate with the herbs.
- Good hot, cold or room temperature.
- The following may be simmered with the potatoes and leeks at the start:.
- Sliced or diced carrots or turnips.
- Peeled, seeded or chopped tomatoes or strained, canned tomatoes.
- Half-cooked dried beans, peas, or lentils, including their cooking liquid.
- The following may be simmered for 10-15 minutes with the soup after it has been pureed:.
- Fresh or frozen diced cauliflower, cucumbers, broccoli, Lima beans, peas, string beans, okra or zucchini.
- Shredded lettuce, spinach, sorrel, or cabbage.
- Diced, cooked leftovers of any of the preceding vegetables.
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, juiced and diced.
This was outstanding! I used broth as was suggested in the reviews and had 1/4c of chopped roasted red peppers left over from another recipe so I dumped them in. The butter is a must! This is a wonderful and easy basic recipe. Thanks for posting. I may just have to buy her book!
I love Mastering the Art of French Cooking and I love this recipe. Thanks for taking the time to post it here. This is a family favorite... so simple, inexpensive and good!