Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very tasty "homemade" tomato soup that isn't a lot of trouble to make. My family likes it for supper with grilled cheese sandwichs
- Chop the onion and saute in the butter in a 6 quart pot until soft and clear, but do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes with liquid,tomato paste, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper to the pot, and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the broth and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree in the food processor or a ricer.
- Pour through a strainer to remove the seeds.
- Add more broth if needed to reach the consistency you desire.
- Reheat the soup stirring in the heavy cream, but do not boil.
- Garnish if you wish with chopped fresh basil, or chopped fresh chives, or chopped green onion.