Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Local grocers often put turkey legs/wings on special, very inexpensive, I buy lots and roast and freeze. Delicious turkey pot roasted dinner!! from The High Fiber Cookbook for diabetics, by Mabel Cavaiani, R.D.
- Ingredient amounts are any amount you wish to use.
- This is a method more than a recipe since the amounts you use will depend upon how many you are serving and whether you want to have turkey to freeze for future casseroles/salads.
- Generally speaking, roast 6 legs/wings at a time, usually enough for supper and lots left for freezing Ask your butcher to cut the turkey legs crosswise for you, dividing each one of them into three pieces, a bony part at the bottom which is saved for broth making and two equal portions from the fleshy part of the leg.
- Place the fleshy parts of the legs in an uncovered roaster, and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the legs with sage, salt and pepper, add water to roaster, cover and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove the roaster from the oven, add the potatoes, onions and carrots, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, cover roaster and roast for another hour or until veggies are tender.
- (Those troublesome tendons in the turkey legs which cause so much trouble are very easy to remove after the meat is tender.) Serve the turkey and veggies, counting exchanges for the portion used.
- After the unused turkey is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and freeze in portions to use for future casseroles or salads.
- Calculate the exchanges used according the the amount used.
- Low sodium diets- omit salt.
- low cholesterol diets, may be used as is.
Maybe I was expecting more of a "stew", but I thought it was kind of dry with no gravy or juice to have with the potatoes. The turkey was tender, but a little dry also. I will try this again adding another cup of broth.
We had this the other night using just 6 turkey legs and potatoes. I couldn't get the legs cut, so I used them whole. The meat was so tender. Just delicious and so easy to do.
very good and diet friendly im a diebetic so taste is important thanks for the idea