Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is really a braise. Adapted from Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (6 lb) turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 dried red peppers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green olives
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Brown turkey on all sides, about 20 minutes. Remove.
- Place a rack in Dutch oven.
- Place turkey on rack.
- Add broth, celery, onion, garlic salt, red peppers, vinegar and allspice.
- Cover and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours, or until turkey is tender.
- Add olives and green pepper and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Remove turkey and place on serving platter.
- Combine cornstarch and water and mix well.
- Add to liquid in pan and heat until slightly thickened.
- Serve over turkey.