2 hrs 10 mins
Moist, tender chicken with the rich, spicy flavors of the American Southwest. Don't be put off by the long directions, they're detailed for beginers. Experienced cooks will still enjoy both the flavor and the simplicity.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 roasting chickens or 1 stew hen
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1 (16 ounce) jar medium salsa (can substitute a can of tomatoes with green chilis or you can use mild or hot salsa according to you)
- 3 -4 leaves cilantro, . (optional ( I dislike cilantro myself. But its an important part of the southwestern flavor-set so I)
- 1Unpackage and prep a roasting chicken or stew hen (take off the plastic, remove the giblets and neck from inside (save for stock), look over the skin and pluck any feathers with a washed pair of needlenose pliers, singe off any pinfeathers with a grill lighter, drain excess liquid from the cavity).
- 2Set it into a small roaster or dutch oven that has a secure lid.
- 3Sprinkle half the cumin and half the garlic slivers over the chicken.
- 4Put the other half of the seasonings into the cavity.
- 5Put half the salsa into the cavity and pour half over the chicken.
- 6Cover and roast at 300 for 2-3 hours or at 250 for 3 hours. You can remove the lid for the last half hour or so to get better browning.
- 7The meat will be very tender -- falling off the bones (a stew hen may have more integrity depending on how tough it started before you tenderized it with the moist heat).
- 8Suggestion -- serve over rice. Pass shredded cheddar or jack cheese at the table. Cornbread is a good too.
- 9Suggestion -- For a vegetable I'd pick a salad of mixed greens or cucumbers in sour cream (cooling against the spices), or broccoli with cheese (strong enough a flavor to stand up and not be overwhelmed). Refried beans would be authentic -- my family doesn't like them much but yours might.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot-Roasted Southwestern Chicken -- Beginner's Directions
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.4
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 731.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 14.4 g