Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Moist, tender chicken with an Italian flair that goes beyond the usual tomato expectations. Don't be put off by the long directions, they're detailed for beginers but even experienced cooks will enjoy this one. Can be adapted to the crockpot by cutting the liquid in half.
- Unpackage and prep a roasting chicken or stew hen (take off the plastic, remove the giblets and neck from inside (save for stock), look over the skin and pluck any feathers with a washed pair of needlenose pliers, singe off any pinfeathers with a grill lighter, drain excess liquid from the cavity).
- Set it into a small roaster or dutch oven that has a secure lid.
- Sprinkle half the Italian seasoning and half the garlic slivers over the chicken.
- Put the other half of the seasonings into the cavity.
- Put half the liquids into the cavity and pour half over the chicken. You want to wash some but not all of the seasonings into the pan.
- Cover and roast at 300 for 2-3 hours or at 250 for 3 hours. You can remove the lid for the last half hour or so to get better browning.
- The meat will be very tender -- falling off the bones (a stew hen may have more integrity depending on how tough it started before you tenderized it with the moist heat).
- Suggestion -- Serve over pasta and pass parmesan at the table.
- Suggestion -- Complete the meal with grilled zuccini, breaded and fried zuccini, or flat, Italian beans that have been steamed or microwaved and some crusty, Italian bread.
Absolutely delightful and succulent chicken with none left at lunch. I made a couple of dishes today, pizza for the young people and the Roast Italian chicken for the adults. Well, the pizza was left but alas the chicken was all gone. I served the chicken "family style" after cutting some tender chicken drumsticks, wings and breast meat off, and the family came up and polished the whole bird off when they came back for seconds and thirds. I used the bones for some stock that is simmering on the stove, and this was just so marvelous! The prep was super duper easy, and as soon as I tagged this A.M. prepped the bird and away she flew. Terrific recipe, wish I could give it more the 5 stars. I didn't add the wine since this was a working lunch, after all, I wouldn't want the big men to fall asleep this afternoon. Thank you so much!