2 hrs 10 mins
Long cooking infuses the meat with the flavor of lemon, oregano, and a hint of mint. The leftovers make such good cold chicken that you might want to make extra for wraps and salad. Don't be put off by the long directions, they're detailed for beginers. But experienced cooks will enjoy the easy goodness just as much. Tip -- If you don't have dried mint in your spice rack you might have it in your tea collection -- if your mint herbal tea is pure mint rather than a mix you can open a tea bag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Unpackage and prep a roasting chicken or stew hen (take off the plastic, remove the giblets and neck from inside (save for stock), look over the skin and pluck any feathers with a washed pair of needlenose pliers, singe off any pinfeathers with a grill lighter, drain excess liquid from the cavity).
- 2Set it into a small roaster or dutch oven that has a secure lid.
- 3Sprinkle half the garlic and half the oregano over the chicken.
- 4Put the other half of the seasonings into the cavity.
- 5Put half the liquids into the cavity and pour the other half over the bird (you want to wash some but not all the seasonings into the pot).
- 6Cover and roast at 300 for 2-3 hours or at 250 for 3 hours. You can remove the lid for the last half hour or so to get better browning.
- 7The meat will be very tender -- falling off the bones (a stew hen may have more integrity depending on how tough it started before you tenderized it with the moist heat).
- 8Suggestion -- Serve over plain rice, pilaf (try Pilaf With Summer Squash ), or couscous. For a vegetable I'd go with a mixed green salad with olives and feta in it or a spinach salad. If I needed to use a hot veggie green beans with butter and sesame would be good.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot-Roasted Greek Chicken -- Beginner's Directions
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.7
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 54.3 mg
- Sodium 92.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 13.4 g