Little Suzy Homemaker's Note:
This is from Bon Appetit Feb 2008.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon golden brown sugar (packed)
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 6 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices, then into 1x1/2-inch rectangles
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 12 small shallots, peeled
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb large carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 ounces parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small celery root, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub spice blend over beef.
- 2Cook bacon in a heavy large ovenproof pot over medium heat until browned and lightly crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pot.
- 3Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes total. Transfer beef to a plate.
- 4Add red wine to pot; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add broth and bacon. Place beef atop bacon. Scatter onions, shallots, garlic and bay leaves around beef.
- 6Cover pot, transfer to oven, and roast 1 hour. Turn beef over; stir onions. Cover and roast 1 hour longer, adding water by 1/4 cupfuls if dry. Transfer beef to plate.
- 7Add carrots, parsnips and celery root to pot; stir to coat. Place beef atop vegetables, cover and roast until beef and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes longer.
- 8Transfer beef to platter. Spoon off fat from surface of sauce. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over beef and serve.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot Roast With Winter Root Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 567.1
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 164.1 mg
- Sodium 852.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 53.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: