Pot Roast With Winter Root Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub spice blend over beef.
- Cook bacon in a heavy large ovenproof pot over medium heat until browned and lightly crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pot.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes total. Transfer beef to a plate.
- Add red wine to pot; bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bacon. Place beef atop bacon. Scatter onions, shallots, garlic and bay leaves around beef.
- Cover pot, transfer to oven, and roast 1 hour. Turn beef over; stir onions. Cover and roast 1 hour longer, adding water by 1/4 cupfuls if dry. Transfer beef to plate.
- Add carrots, parsnips and celery root to pot; stir to coat. Place beef atop vegetables, cover and roast until beef and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes longer.
- Transfer beef to platter. Spoon off fat from surface of sauce. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over beef and serve.