Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Land O Lakes. This wholesome family dinner is perfect on a cold day.
- 1 tablespoon land o lakes butter
- 1 (3 lb) beef chuck roast, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium turnip, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small rutabaga, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups beef drippings
- Melt butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add beef pieces. Cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until browned (7 to 9 minutes).
- Spray 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with no-stick cooking spray. Place all vegetable ingredients in slow cooker; top with browned beef pieces.
- Stir together all seasoning ingredients in medium bowl; pour over beef.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables to serving platter; keep warm. Reserve beef juices in slow cooker.
- Combine flour and water in 1 1/2-quart saucepan with wire whisk; stir in 2 cups reserved beef juices. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil (4 to 5 minutes). Boil 1 minute. Serve gravy with meat and vegetables.