Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe came from a Better Homes and Gardens crock pot cookbook. I love sweet potatoes and thought this would be a nice change from the usual pot roast. I used apple juice in place of the water.
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Trim the fat from the pot roast. Heat oil in a skillet and brown the meat on all sides.
- Place the onions and potatoes in the crock pot and place the meat on top.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove meat and vegetables and place on platter.
- If desired, for gravy, pour juices into a glass measuring cup. Skim off fat and add water to equal 2 cups of liquid. Pour into a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix 2 tbs cornstarch and 2 tbs cold water and add to liquid. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.