Recipe by Abby Girl
I was skeptical about this recipe....but it really works well! I served this with noodles and my family licked this one up! I got this recipe from the Looneyspoon series.
- 3⁄4 cup root beer (not diet)
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce, hickory flavored preferably
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
Rest of Ingredients
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs cross-rib roasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- To make sauce, combine root beer, barbecue sauce, tomato paste, lemon juice, ginger, worcestershire sauce, garlic, cumin and chili powder in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and let sauce boil gently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. (The sauce is very strong and concentrate at this point -- don't panic, it mellows out quite nicely once it's cooked in the beef juices).
- Pat roast dry with paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add roast and brown it on all sides.
- Place in crock pot. Arrange onion wedges around roast. Cover and cook on low heating for 5 - 7 hours, or until cooked. (Note: the original recipe stated 8 hours, but I found that it was over cooked for my liking, so use your own judgement).
- Remove roast from crockpot. Place on a cutting board and cover with tin foil and let rest. Pour sauce into a medium saucepan. Skim off as much fat as possible.
- In another bowl, mix the cornstarch with equal amounts of cold water and stir until smooth. Add to sauce and bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly until sauce has thickened slightly.