Recipe by KittyKitty
The sour cream gravy with this is creamy, and has a great flavor. It's really easy to make, and great on a winter afternoon.
Top Review by Chef Stu #2
Just absolutely hit the spot. I made a few enhancements to the gravy (little Country Bob's, and used beef broth instead of water), and added a couple of whole cloves of garlic to the veggies, but that's it. I was not a big pot roast fan, and now I look forward to making this once or so a month. Thanks.
- 1 (2 lb) boneless chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled am
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven; add water. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/3 hours.
- Add vegetables, cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender, adding additional water if needed.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving dish. drain off drippings, leaving 2 tablespoons of drippings in pan; reserve remaining drippings.
- Stir flour into drippings in pan with wire whisk, cook over medium heat until browned, stirring constantly.
- Add enough water to reserved drippings to make 1 cup, stir into flour and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Add sour cream, salt and pepper, cook stirring constantly until thoroughly heated. Serve gravy with roast, and vegetables.