Recipe by BearsFanJeff
This crock pot recipe is perfect for a family dinner with enough leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. The delicious gravy has a hint of red wine and goes perfectly with mashed potatoes.
Top Review by dalecrommie_11973399
The pot roast is great. I am making the gravy as we speak, and for my taste I would reduce the wine to 1 cup. The carrots came through too strongly as I had feared. I like carrots, but they are a very sweet veggie. While I did also add some mushrooms, I would use a lot more next time and only a smidgen of carrots. We all have different taste buds:)
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs beef roast (I use a rump roast)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup baby carrots, whole
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Make six deep slits into the roast. Insert one clove of garlic into each slit.
- Slice 1/2 of the onion. Layer on the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add baby carrots.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides of the roast. Place roast in crock pot on top of vegetables, fat side up.
- Finely chop remaining onion.
- Mix onion, wine, water, Worchestershire, bouillon, brown sugar, basil, and horseradish in a small bowl. Pour over roast.
- Cook roast on low heat for 6-7 hours.
- Turn roast over halfway through cooking to allow both halves to cook in the juices.
- Remove roast to a serving plate. Spoon about 1/2 cup of juices onto the roast. Allow the roast to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Puree remaining juices, onions, and carrots in a food processor to make a gravy.
- Pour gravy into a medium saucepan and heat on low.
- Melt butter in a small pan or cup. Wisk in flour until it forms a paste.
- Wisk paste into gravy mix. Continue to heat until thickened.
- Slice roast, serve with gravy and enjoy!