1/1 Photo of Pot Roast With Red Wine Gravy
6 hrs 30 mins
This crock pot recipe is perfect for a family dinner with enough leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. The delicious gravy has a hint of red wine and goes perfectly with mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs beef roast (I use a rump roast)
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup baby carrots, whole
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1Make six deep slits into the roast. Insert one clove of garlic into each slit.
- 2Slice 1/2 of the onion. Layer on the bottom of the crock pot.
- 3Add baby carrots.
- 4Sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides of the roast. Place roast in crock pot on top of vegetables, fat side up.
- 5Finely chop remaining onion.
- 6Mix onion, wine, water, Worchestershire, bouillon, brown sugar, basil, and horseradish in a small bowl. Pour over roast.
- 7Cook roast on low heat for 6-7 hours.
- 8Turn roast over halfway through cooking to allow both halves to cook in the juices.
- 9Remove roast to a serving plate. Spoon about 1/2 cup of juices onto the roast. Allow the roast to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- 10Puree remaining juices, onions, and carrots in a food processor to make a gravy.
- 11Pour gravy into a medium saucepan and heat on low.
- 12Melt butter in a small pan or cup. Wisk in flour until it forms a paste.
- 13Wisk paste into gravy mix. Continue to heat until thickened.
- 14Slice roast, serve with gravy and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot Roast With Red Wine Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.9
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 576.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 42.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: