Pot Roast with Port (Stove Top)
- In a large pan, heat oil and brown roast on both sides.
- Add wine to pan and simmer roast, uncovered, until wine is reduced to about 1/2 (this will take about 15 minutes or so----I usually turn the roast over at least once during this time).
- Add consomme and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- In a small frying pan mix flour with melted butter to make a roux (lightly browned).
- After roast has simmered for the 1 hour, add roux to meat and sauce, stirring to thicken.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until tender, at least another 1/2 hour.
- This can be served over noodles or rice and garnished with chopped parsley.