Recipe by KateL
When pressure cooking a pot roast, it is best to check the manual and recipes that came with your pressure cooker. This is a Tried And True recipe from the Cook's Essentials 8-quart Electric Pressure Cooker manual. (If you have a 15 psi pressure cooker, like Kuhn Rikon, the pressure cooking time would be 60 minutes, per "Quick Cuisine.") Note that a 5-liter pressure cooker can handle up to a 4-pound roast, and a 2-liter p.c. can handle up to a 2-pound roast. I always keep a can of condensed French onion soup in my pantry for emergencies. Cooking time includes 15 minutes to reach pressure and 15 minutes to reduce pressure, and 80 minutes at pressure for Cook's Essentials pressure cooker.
- 5 lbs boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast, tied with string
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 cup celery, roughly chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium beef broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 large potatoes, scrubbed (leave whole)
- 12 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season roast well with salt and pepper (or seasoning mix of your choice).
- Heat oil in pressure cooker on BROWN setting. Brown roast well on all sides. Remove roast and set aside until Step 4.
- Add onions, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and bay leaves. Return roast to cooker. Set potatoes on top and around the roast. Thread garlic cloves on skewers and set skewers on top of potatoes or roast.
- Secure lid (and slide safety lock to LOCK position). Point pressure regulator knob to PRESSURE. (In other words, prepare cooker to cook at high pressure.).
- For electric pressure cooker, set pressure mode for HIGH and cook time for 80 minutes. Press START. (For 15 psi stove-top cooker, bring to high pressure over medium-high heat, then once high pressure has been reached, reduce heat to minimum needed to sustain high pressure; begin timing 60 minutes from moment pressure was reached.) Please check the recommended cooking time in your pressure cooker manual.
- For electric pressure cooker, when time is up, unplug and allow pressure to reduce naturally for at least 15 minutes, then you can quick-release any remaining pressure by holding down the Quick Steam Release Button until the pressure indicator drops.
- For stovetop pressure cooker, allow pressure to fall naturally.
- Unlock pressure cooker and remove lid.
- Transfer potatoes and garlic to a bowl and cover with foil. Set roast on a cutting board. Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Strain cooking broth into a gravy separator and degrease broth. Discard bay leaves. Mash chopped vegetables and stir into about 2 cups of cooking broth to make a gravy. Season to taste. (If you wish, you may thicken remaining cooking broth with cornstarch or arrowroot for additional gravy.).
- Mash potatoes and garlic cloves with butter. Season to taste and garnish with parsley. Serve alongside roast. Pass gravy in a sauceboat.