Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from a Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) cookbook. I often use a chuck roast for this. The original recipe also calls for 3 or 4 dried mushrooms to be added with the other ingredients, but I have never used them.
- 3 lbs beef top round roast or 3 lbs bottom round beef roast
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock
- 3 dill pickles, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat dutch oven or large frying pan and make sure it is hot before adding oil.
- Brown the roast well in the oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the sour cream.
- Simmer, covered, for about 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Add the sour cream and simmer for 1/2 hour more.
- Slice and serve with the sauce on the top.
When I saw this recipe it reminded me of Polish cooking so I just had to try it. Everyone loved it. I doubled the amount of stock just to make sure the pan doesn't burn and used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream 'cause it's what I had on hand. I might let it cook an extra hour next time and see how tender it can get. Thank you very much.
I have made this often. It is great in the crock pot as well. A very good roast for company. Thanks.