Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Easy to put together, full of flavor, perfect fall weather dinner. It's also the only way I can slide any form of broccoli past my husband!
- 2 lbs beef shoulder chuck roast, up to 3 pounds
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
- 1 cup diced frozen hash browns
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups broccoli, slaw
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- Cut beef into 10 to 12 equal portions-you want chunks of beef.
- Place in a large crock pot.
- Add onions, tomatoes, barley, broth and spices.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours OR 8-9 hours on low.
- Do not lift the lid.
- When cooking time is up, stir in hash browns and broccoli slaw.
- Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn off and add peas.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with hot rolls and salad.