Recipe by Tona C.
This recipe will take approximately two hours to prepare from scratch. You could save some time by using leftover pot roast ingredients and just adding the liquids and the gravy mix and the steak sauces. It could also be adapted to a crockpot recipe allowing 4 to 5 hours on low for cooking time.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs sirloin steaks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon refrigerated garlic
- 2 beef gravy, packets
- 64 ounces beef broth
- 16 ounces frozen sliced carrots
- 6 cups potatoes, bite-size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Heinz 57 steak sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube sirloin steak into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Dredge the sirloin steak pieces in this dry mixture coating them well.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sirloin pieces. Cook until onions and sirloin are lightly browned.
- Add wine to deglaze the skillet.
- Add garlic and stir well.
- Transfer skillet mixture to a soup pot.
- Add all of beef broth.
- Add beef gravy packets.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Add Heinz 57 sauce.
- Stir until dry soup mix has dissolved completely.
- Add potatoes and carrots.
- Cover soup pot, and cook on low heat for 60 to 90 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Serve with French bread or crusty rolls.