1/1 Photo of Pot Roast Smothered in Bacon and Onions
3 hrs 45 mins
From Food & Wine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 lbs chuck roast, tied at 1-inch intervals
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs onions, very thinly sliced
- 12 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 20 whole allspice berries
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1In large, enameled cast-iron casserole, melt 2 tbsp butter.
- 2Add bacon and cook over moderate-low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat has rendered, about 10 minutes.
- 3Transfer bacon with slotted spoon to paper-towel lined plate.
- 4With a sharp knife, cut roast between the strings into four 1-inch thick slabs.
- 5Season meat with salt and pepper.
- 6Working in 2 batches, cook roast in casserole over moderate high heat, turning once, until browned, about 6 minute.
- 7Transfer to large plate.
- 8Lower heat to moderate for second batch if the butter starts to brown to quickly.
- 9Remove the strings and keep the steaks intact if possible.
- 10Preheat oven to 350*F.
- 11Add onions, garlic, 1/4 cup water and 1 tsp salt to casserole.
- 12Cook over moderate high heat, stirring about 8 minute.
- 13Transfer half the onions to a plate.
- 14Stir the remaining 1 tbsp butter into the onions in the casserole.
- 15Nestle the steaks into the onions (in the casserole), overlapping them slightly if necessary.
- 16Add allspice berries, peppercorns, crushed red pepper, and bay leaf and lay half of the reserved bacon over the steaks.
- 17Spread the remaining onions and bacon on top.
- 18Add the wine and the remaining 1 cup water and bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over moderate high heat for 5 minutes.
- 19Transfer casserole to oven and cook for 30 minute.
- 20Reduce oven temp to 250* and continue braising for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until steaks are very tender.
- 21Turn oven off, uncover the casserole and let meat stand in oven for 30 minute.
- 22Serve meat and onion in deep plates, spoon sauce on top and sprinkle with parsely.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot Roast Smothered in Bacon and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (636 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 910.3
- Calories from Fat 540
- Total Fat 60.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 171.4 mg
- Sodium 443.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 41.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: